The Wallace Group is a partnership, created in 2006 by several leading UK Universities to support sports development for young people in Zambia. The partnership's mission is to make a difference to the lives of young Zambian people by empowering and enriching communities, through the power of sport, leadership and education.
In the Summer of 2018, The University of Edinburgh became a partner of the Wallace Group, and in Summer 2019 sent four students out to Zambia - Hugh Braidwood, Claire Cumming, Declan McLaughlin & Charlotte Smithson. Students work alongside the Zambian non-government organisation Sport in Action. The initiative focuses on the positive impact that sport can have upon impoverished communities; helping to improve the quality of life and deliver key health messages.
2022/23 - APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!!
What does it involve?
This project involves upskilling and educating coaches, rather than teaching the sport. This empowers the local coaches to go out into their communities and deliver higher quality coaching sessions across Lusaka and further afield. Find out more here: https://www.volunteer-zambia.com/
Prior to applying, students should be aware that being part of Volunteer Zambia is a big commitment. It is hard work, time-consuming, and requires a full 12 months of commitment to the project. This includes:
- Attend full induction in Durham on 24th-26th March 2023 (travel expenses and accommodation will be covered)
- Fundraise £2,500, as well as cover the cost of vaccinations pre-trip and in-country living expenses
- Undertake additional training, with support from the SU, to upskill yourself
- Represent the University of Edinburgh in line with the values of Sport & Exercise and the Sports Union
You can view the 2022 Handbook HERE.
- Watch the recording of our information session.
- 11th October - Applications Close - Deadline Extended to 12pm on Monday 17th October
- 21st October - Interviews and Practical Assessment
- 3rd November - Final decision on 2023 cohort made
- 24th - 26th March 2023 - Induction Weekend in Durham
- 4th June-30th July - Group 1 in Zambia
- 30th July-24th September - Group 2 in Zambia (Unlikely to be UoE students due to term dates)
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 11th October at 12 noon, and completed forms should be returned to Neil Rankin (Neil.Rankin@ed.ac.uk)
Should you have any further questions regarding the experience, or require some additional information, then please e-mail Neil.Rankin@ed.ac.uk, or why not check out Volunteer Zambia via Facebook, Twitter or their website, for more information on exactly what the project is all about.