The Wallace Group is a partnership, created in 2006 by several leading UK Universities to support sports development for young people in Zambia. The partnership's mission is to make a difference to the lives of young Zambian people by empowering and enriching communities, through the power of sport, leadership and education.
In the Summer of 2018, The University of Edinburgh became a partner of the Wallace Group, and in Summer 2019 sent four students out to Zambia - Hugh Braidwood, Claire Cumming, Declan McLaughlin & Charlotte Smithson. Students work alongside the Zambian non-government organisation Sport in Action. The initiative focuses on the positive impact that sport can have upon impoverished communities; helping to improve the quality of lives and deliver key health messages.
What does it involve?
Prior to applying, students should be aware that being part of Volunteer Zambia is a big commitment. It is hard work, time consuming, and requires a full 12 months of committment to the project. This includes:
- Fundraising £2000 as an individual.
- Meeting frequently with the UoE staff lead, and other Volunteer Zambia students.
- Gaining as much additional experience / knowledge as possible in your specialist area prior to going to Zambia (e.g. obtaining relevant coaching & first aid qualifications).
- Attending both the UoE induction (date: TBC) and the wider Volunteer Zambia induction in Durham (2 nights in Durham, in April).
- Being in Zambia for 6 weeks (between June & August 2020)
- Supporting with the promotion of the following year's Volunteer Zambia initiative.
How to Apply?
Applications for the 2019/20 programme are NOW OPEN! You should complete the following Application Form and send this, with your CV, to Michael.Webster@ed.ac.uk. The deadline for applications is 1200 on Friday 18th October.
You can find out more information on the 2019/20 roles (see below), by checking out the Role Description & Person Specification:
- Netball Development Officer
- Basketball Development Officer
- Football Development Officer
- Women’s Football Development Officer
- Media, Marketing & Communications Development Officer
Information sessions will be held for anyone interested in hearing more about the project on the following dates - sign-up for an information session here. These sessions will take place in the Bells Meeting Room at the Pleasance Sports Centre:
- Monday 30th September, 1230 - 1330
- Wednesday 9th October, 1500 - 1600
- Tuesday 15th October, 1300 - 1400
These sessions will give anyone interested in applying the opportunity to hear about the project and ask any questions with regards to life in Zambia, details of the project, the appliction process, and anything else!
Should you have any further questions regarding the experience, or require some additional information, then please e-mail Michael.Webster@ed.ac.uk, or why not check out the Wallace Group via Facebook or Twitter, for more information on exactly what the project is all about.
You can follow Hugh, Claire, Declan and Charlotte's journey in Lusaka throughout Summer 2019 here.