The Wallace Group is a partnership, created in 2006 by several leading UK Universities to support sports development for young people in Zambia. The partnership's mission is to make a difference to the lives of young Zambian people by empowering and enriching communities, through the power of sport, leadership and education.
In the Summer of 2018, The University of Edinburgh became a partner of the Wallace Group, and in Summer 2019 will be sending four students out to Zambia - Hugh Braidwood, Claire Cumming, Declan McLaughlin & Charlotte Smithson. Students will work alongside the Zambian non-government organisation Sport in Action. The initiative focuses on the positive impact that sport can have upon impoverished communities; helping to improve the quality of lives and deliver key health messages.
What does it involve?
Prior to applying, students should be aware that being part of Volunteer Zambia is a big commitment. It is hard work, time consuming, and requires a full 12 months of committment to the project. This includes:
- Fundraising £2000 as an individual.
- Meeting frequently with the UoE staff lead, and other Volunteer Zambia students.
- Gaining as much additional experience / knowledge as possible in your specialist area prior to going to Zambia (e.g. obtaining relevant coaching & first aid qualifications).
- Attending both the UoE induction (date: TBC) and the wider Volunteer Zambia induction in Durham (2 nights in Durham, in April).
- Being in Zambia for 6 weeks (between June & August 2020)
- Supporting with the promotion of the following year's Volunteer Zambia initiative.
How to Apply?
Applications will open in September 2019 for the 2019/20 programme - check back here nearer the time for more information.
In the meantime, should you have any further questions regarding the experience, or require some additional information, then please e-mail Michael.Webster@ed.ac.uk, or why not check out the Wallace Group via Facebook or Twitter, for more information on exactly what the project is all about.
You can follow Hugh, Claire, Declan and Charlotte's journey in Lusaka throughout Summer 2019 here.