Welcome Week Taster Sessions Autumn 2021
Tuesday 14th September 18:00-19:30 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, Sports Hall
Thursday 16th September 18:00-19:30 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, Sports Hall
Our first week of training after Welcome Week will also be taster sessions!
Training Semester 1 2021
Tuesday, (Pad Work) 20:30 - 22:00 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, The Studio
Wednesday, (Strength and Conditioning) 20:00 - 21:00 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, Performance Gym
Thursday, (Pad Work) 20:30 - 22:00 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, The Studio
Friday, (Pad Work) 20:30 - 22:00 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, The Studio
Sunday, (Sparring) 12:00 - 13:30 -- St Leonards, Gym 2
Sign Up Links are posted on our EUMT Members Facebook Group. Once you have bought your membership, please request to be a member here.
About Muay Thai
Feared in MMA as arguably the most comprehensive striking system in the world; Muay Thai is Thailand's national sport, having existed as a part of their culture for hundreds of years. This isn't just kickboxing with elbows and knees though. In "Thai Boxing" you're allowed to catch people's kicks, opening up a world full of new techniques to control your opponent, sweep their legs out from under them, or throw them into a vulnerable position. Muay thai fighters also don't separate when they clinch, instead continuing to wrestle while standing as they try to knee or throw each other to the ground.
About our club
We offer four sessions a week and all sessions are included in the membership. You are free to go to the sessions that you think would suit you best!
The club will provide all the necessary kit for the training and strength and conditioning sessions - just make sure that you are wearing comfortable sports clothes! Handwraps will not be provided as they are not mandatory but they can be purchased externally.
For sparring sessions, the club will provide gloves and shinguards, however you will need to purchase your mouth guard and groin guard (if applicable) yourself.
All our sessions are aimed to be beginner friendly, however we strongly encourage you to go to several training sessions first before going to any sparring sessions and make sure you have the right equipment!
Our Tuesday and Thursday sessions are mainly padwork, going over a whole range of techniques and combinations as well as some fitness and conditioning drills. At university level we don't spar or compete with elbows or knees to the head, but we still teach elbow techniques at sessions should anyone want to develop them further. We like to work you hard during these sessions, but we also feel a positive atmosphere is the key to effective training, so expect some good music and a friendly committee there to help you with technique and make you feel welcome.
Strength and conditioning sessions aren't like your average gym session. Our strength and conditioning coach runs you through a full plan of sport specific exercises, helping you not only build strength but also speed, power, and balance; but most importantly to prevent injuries.
Our Sunday sparring sessions are where you get to practice the techniques you've been taught and string them together. But it's also an opportunity to build a fight IQ: gradually learning to measure distance, develop timing, and stay composted. Our sparring sessions are about developing skill, respecting each other, and leaving ego at the door. You should never leave a session injured or having injured someone as a result of excessive aggression. We have a very strict policy for anyone who is seen to be breaking our code of conduct during sparring.
Note: You will have to sign up via SignUp Genius for every session. This will be available the week before (on Tuesday) and the links to do so can be found on our EUMT Members Facebook Group. If you have not registered for a session you cannot attend, even if the session is not full. You will be able to register for the sesssion up until the session begins.
We are constantly looking to provide as many opportunities for members to compete and get involved in some legendary fight nights. At these fight nights you'll walk out to a song of your choice, before facing an opponent matched up a similar weight and experience level to you. This fight is usually non-decision (no winner is announced), but when you're ready there is sometimes the option to do an N-Class decision fight.
We also host a yearly intraclub where you engage in competitive sparring matches with your fellow club members, this helps you get a taste of what fights are like incase you don't want to jump in to fight nights straight away.
Whatever degree to which you want to fight though, you'll never be fighting alone. In your corner will be an experience club member giving you water and advise between rounds, while the rest of your teammates cheer you on at the sidelines.
This is where we become more than just a Muay Thai club. Throughout the year we host regular socials where members of the clubs can get to know each other while a little less sweaty. As a club we're not interested in cliqueness, it's as simple as simple as coming along, grabbing a drink (non alcoholic works just fine), and getting to know your training partners.
EUMT COVID POLICY
EUMT will be following all guidance of the Scottish Government regarding running sessions and socials. Please see below for what members need to know regarding attending our sessions.
Before attending the session
- If you or anyone you live with develop symptoms, receive a positive COVID result please do not attend the session
- You will need to sign up for every session via SignUpGenius – this is available 2 weeks beforehand. Please do not turn up to a session if you have not signed up. You will be turned away.
- If you have signed up and either develop symptoms or cannot attend a session for any reason unregister yourself and please contact a member of the committee (Facebook, DM, Instagram, email) so someone may take your place
- When traveling to the session please walk or cycle where possible. If using public transport wear a mask unless medically exempt.
During the session
- Do not arrive early for the session. Plan to arrive on time to avoid queuing.
- When you enter the building please adhere to the one-way system clearly marked around the building.
- You will be required to wear a mask (unless medically exempt) around the facility up until entering the room where we are running the session.
- You will be checked off the register when you enter the session. You will also be asked to sanitise your hands before entering the room – if you have your own please bring it and use your own.
- Do not bring excessive personal items. You may bring a water bottle and hand sanitiser etc. Changing rooms will be closed so you will be expected to show up to the session already dressed and please do not bring bags.
After the session
- If you develop symptoms after the session, please self-isolate immediately and contact a member of the committee.
- Please keep checking our website and social media for any updates regarding our health and safety policy as well as any training updates!
Sport & Exercise Health & Safety Guidelines
Scottish Government COVID Guidance
Boxing Scotland COVID Guidance
CONTACT: If you have any questions with regards to getting involved with the club then e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org; or message us on facebook or instagram.
Please be aware that after the trial period you must have purchased a Sport & Exercise Gym Membership to join this club, which is available HERE.