Welcome Week Taster Sessions Autumn 2020
Tuesday 15th September 13:30-15:00 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, Sports Hall
Thursday 17th September 18:00-19:30 -- Sport & Exercise Pleasance, Sports Hall
Sunday 20th September 12:00-13:30 -- Meadows Pleasance Cafe
Link to Register for our taster sessions can be found here: https://www.eusu.ed.ac.uk/information/sessionregistration/
Training Semester 2 20202
Due to Covid-19 restrictions our classes are mainly online. To maintain security we ask you please request to join the members chat via Facebook to access links for all online sessions.
We have one in-person session a week. Please sign up via the sign-up-genius link below.
Tuesday, (mobility) 17:30 - 18:15 -- Online
Wednesday, (Muay Thechnique), 18:00 - 19:00 -- Online
Sunday, (S&C) 16:00 - 17:00 -- Online
About Muay Thai
Feared in MMA as arguably the most comprehensive striking system in the world; Muay Thai is Thailand's national sport, having existed as a part of their culture for hundreds of years. This isn't just kickboxing with elbows and knees though. In "Thai Boxing" you're allowed to catch people's kicks, opening up a world full of new techniques to control your opponent, sweep their legs out from under them, or throw them into a vulnerable position. Muay thai fighters also don't separate when they clinch, instead continuing to wrestle while standing as they try to knee or throw each other to the ground.
About our club
Our sessions have had to go some changes in order to maintain social distancing but we are still committed to offering you high quality coaching! All sessions will be in line with advice given by the Scottish Government, Edinburgh University and its associated organisations to ensure your wellbeing and safety.
Our Tuesday and Thursday sessions will be led by our fantastic coaches Alex and Oliver. Until contact sport can resume, these shall be shadow boxing based going over a whole range of techniques and combinations as well as some fitness and conditioning drills. At university level we don't spar or compete with elbows or knees to the head, but we still teach elbow techniques at sessions should anyone want to develop them further. We like to work you hard during these sessions, but we also feel a positive atmosphere is the key to effective training, so expect some good music and a friendly committee there to help you with technique and make you feel welcome.
Wednesday strength and conditioning sessions aren't like your average gym session. Our strength and conditioning coach runs you through a full plan of sport specific exercises, helping you not only build strength but also speed, power, and balance; but most importantly to prevent injuries.
Until Sunday sparring sessions can resume we will be running recovery and mobility sessions. Something often overlooked but should always be one of the key priorities of all aspiring fighters. Using exercises inspired from yoga and pilates these sessions act as injury prevention but also increase your range of mobility aiding you in carrying out more complex moves such as head-kicks and question mark kicks. Under normal circumstances our sparring sessions are where you get to practice the techniques you've been taught and string them together. But it's also an opportunity to build a fight IQ: gradually learning to measure distance, develop timing, and stay composted. Our sparring sessions are about developing skill, respecting each other, and leaving ego at the door. You should never leave a session injured or having injured someone as a result of excessive aggression. We have a very strict policy for anyone who is seen to be breaking our code of conduct during sparring.
If all of this was not enough we are also in the process of organising a bag training session with Hanuman Thai Boxing Gym. This would involve organising members to go down to the Hanuman gym, where they have enough heavy bags for members to each have their own and be able to practice their techniques as well as work on their power. Hanuman is a professional Muay Thai gym which works with competitors at the highest level and has worked alongside EUMT for several years to offer world class coaching.
These sessions will aim to provide you with the best foundation possible so if you decide to join sparring and competition, you'll be able to do so as soon as it is safe to do so
Note: You will have to sign up via SignUp Genius for every session. This will be available up to two weeks before and the links to do so can be found above or on our social media. If you have not registered for a session you cannot attend, even if the session is not full. You will be able to register for the sesssion up until the session begins.
We are constantly looking to provide as many opportunities for members to compete and get involved in some legendary fight nights. At these fight nights you'll walk out to a song of your choice, before facing an opponent matched up a similar weight and experience level to you. This fight is usually non-decision (no winner is announced), but when you're ready there is sometimes the option to do an N-Class decision fight.
We also host a yearly intraclub where you engage in competitive sparring matches with your fellow club members, this helps you get a taste of what fights are like incase you don't want to jump in to fight nights straight away.
Whatever degree to which you want to fight though, you'll never be fighting alone. In your corner will be an experience club member giving you water and advise between rounds, while the rest of your teammates cheer you on at the sidelines.
This is where we become more than just a Muay Thai club. Throughout the year we host regular socials where members of the clubs can get to know each other while a little less sweaty. As a club we're not interested in cliqueness, it's as simple as simple as coming along, grabbing a drink (non alcoholic works just fine), and getting to know your training partners.
EUMT COVID POLICY
EUMT will be following all guidance of the Scottish Government regarding running sessions and socials. Please see below for what members need to know regarding attending our sessions.
Before attending the session
- If you or anyone you live with develop symptoms, receive a positive COVID result please do not attend the session
- You will need to sign up for every session via SignUpGenius – this is available 2 weeks beforehand. Please do not turn up to a session if you have not signed up. You will be turned away.
- If you have signed up and either develop symptoms or cannot attend a session for any reason unregister yourself and please contact a member of the committee (Facebook, DM, Instagram, email) so someone may take your place
- When traveling to the session please walk or cycle where possible. If using public transport wear a mask unless medically exempt.
During the session
- Do not arrive early for the session. Plan to arrive on time to avoid queuing.
- When you enter the building please adhere to the one-way system clearly marked around the building.
- You will be required to wear a mask (unless medically exempt) around the facility up until entering the room where we are running the session.
- You will be checked off the register when you enter the session. You will also be asked to sanitise your hands before entering the room – if you have your own please bring it and use your own.
- Do not bring excessive personal items. You may bring a water bottle and hand sanitiser etc. Changing rooms will be closed so you will be expected to show up to the session already dressed and please do not bring bags.
- All sessions will be socially distanced. You must remain 2m from all members at all times. When you enter the room you will be guided to a space where you will be asked to stay for the remainder of the session. Do not congregate w other members.
- We will not be using equipment. Do not bring pads, gloves, wraps, pads, etc.
- You will be asked to sanitise again at the end of the session
- No sparring or contact – members are not allowed to organise private sparring sessions with members of other households.
After the session
- If you develop symptoms after the session, please self-isolate immediately and contact a member of the committee.
- Please keep checking our website and social media for any updates regarding our health and safety policy as well as any training updates!
- We will resume contact once we receive the go-ahead from the Scottish Government and the relevant governing bodies. We will make members aware of when there are any updates or changes.
Sport & Exercise Health & Safety Guidelines
Scottish Government COVID Guidance
Boxing Scotland COVID Guidance
CONTACT: If you have any questions with regards to getting involved with the club then e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org; or message us on facebook or instagram.
Please be aware that after the trial period you must have purchased a Sport & Exercise Gym Membership to join this club, which is available HERE.